Tuesday 31 May 2011

Pragmatic Thinking And Learning

I am working my way through "Pragmatic Thinking And Learning" by Andy Hunt and something keeps popping out at me.  A large proportion of the books and articles that Andy cites (in fact it's one half - 45 out of a total of 90 in the bibliography) have a title that consists of a short punchy phrase, followed by a comma, followed by a longer explanatory phrase.

For example: Getting Things Done: The Art Of Stress-Free Productivity.

At first I thought this was just a boring cliché by publishers, but as I read the book I think I see more significance in the pattern.

I have a theory that - in accordance with the principles explained in the book - the poetic or metaphorical phrase before the comma is addressed to the holistic, intuitive R-mode of your brain, and the prosaic, explanatory phrase after the comma is addressed to the logical, analytic L-mode of your brain.  Thereby allowing you to see the import of the book with both halves of your brain at the same time.

I wonder if I'm on to something?

No comments:

Post a Comment